Let’s try making cinnamon rolls again

On the way home from the city last night we stopped at Harris Teeter and got flour for making more cinnamon rolls.  After losing 7… most likely to the dogs… I figured that I would try again today.  At about 9am I got up and started making the dough, caramel, and icing.  I didn’t think about it at the time, but none of the dogs cared in the least as to what I was doing.  They all went back to sleep after they got their food.

I carefully rolled out the dough, coated it with butter, a layer of cinnamon & sugar, and then a thin layer of caramel made from butter, brown sugar, and Karo Syrup.  We bought some extra large muffin pans that made 4 inch muffins so that I could make the buns separately.  I ground up some pecans, made a second batch of caramel and put about 1/4 inch of this pecan/caramel mix in the bottom of each pan.  I cut the roll into 1 inch sections and gently put them in the pans.  No dogs in sight.

I let the pans rest for an hour so that they would rise nicely and then put them in the oven to bake.  I went to my office and started working on my computer while they cooked.  A fresh smell of cinnamon began to fill the house and when I went to check on them when the timer beeped, I noticed that Remy was camped out at the oven staring at it like it was his next meal.  Hum, this confirmed that he knew the smell and had interest.  I think we have established motive right?

When the buns were ready, I took them out of the oven.  I had put a little to much caramel in them as it bubbled out of the buns and had dripped onto the bottom of the oven.  I spread a large piece of aluminum foil on the counter and inverted the pans.  When I lifted the pans, the caramel from the bottom of the pan oozed down the side of the rolls and they looked perfect.  Better than the previous batch and perfectly formed in the new pans.  The sides had crisped as the caramel had risen on the edge of the muffin cup and then crystalized on the side of the roll.  After letting them cool briefly, I put two on plates and took one up to Mike in his office.  Remy was dancing along at my feet while the other dogs seemed oblivious to the events.

I put a metal pan under the aluminum foil and then set it on top of the refrigerator to ensure that a dog could not get to it.  When the rolls were cooled enough to wrap, I wrapped each one in Saran Wrap and set them on top of the refrigerator.  Remy camped out staring up at the rolls for quite a while before giving up.

At about 6:30pm I heard an odd noise coming from the kitchen.  I got up just in time to see Remy heading out through the doggy door with the aluminum foil that I had initially turned the rolls onto.  I opened up the door on the deck and yelled at him saying “Remy!  No!!!”.  I shook my finger at him and fussed loudly.  He tucked his tail and headed for the doggy door as fast as he could.  I picked up the aluminum foil and found my best mixing spatula on the ground with teeth marks.  Ugh.  Remy was peeking out from the doggy door and I picked up the spatula and waved it at him and fussed “Bad Dog!  Bad!  Bad Remy!”. 

By this time, all of the dogs had disappeared.  I found Remy hiding in my office under my desk.  He had his nose as far to the back of the corner as he could and had his tail tucked.  I fussed at him and shook my finger.  It appeared that he fully understood that he had done wrong.  I went back to the kitchen and made sure that nothing else was within doggy range and then came back to the office.  He was still cowering under my desk.  I called him out and pet him for a bit until he seemed like he was OK.  He wagged his tail and then laid down with a bit of a sheepish look for the rest of the evening.

Leave a Reply